Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Goodbye, Lake House


You guys. Things have been a little crazy lately. The house we've been renting for two years sold while we were on vacation... not exactly not the best news to come home to.

So we've moved. Our renter's contract has a 30 day notice clause, so we technically could have stayed at the house until October, but because our rent and utilities are due on the tenth of every month, we made the most of the timing and decided to be out by the tenth.

I swung by yesterday to pick up the mail and just had to snap a quick photo with my phone. Despite all of its flaws (notice the upside down sconce? haha...) I think I'm really going to miss this house and all the memories it holds. The beautiful lakeside view. The hours of snuggling on the couch and watching Netflix. The swans. The friends that visited. The birthdays and holidays we celebrated together. It was the first house that Chris and I made our home, so it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Instead of signing a six/twelve month lease when we're so close to buying a home, we're living with Chris' parents for a few months to save money and search for a house of our own. Honestly, I was a little embarrassed to be moving back in with his parents at first, but I now realize that it's totally a blessing. It will take some getting used to, but in the long run it will help us out -- not to mention the fact that my in-laws are some of the best people I know. Once the chaos of moving has settled down and we've unpacked a little more, I'll have to do a little home tour in remembrance (you know, after I've shared the vacation photos that have been sitting on my desktop for weeks now...)

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Change isn't always easy... however, I think new, brighter, better things will come your way!

Unknown said...

no shame in that! you guys are smart to take your time while looking for a house. that's one decision you do NOT want to jump into. good luck hunting! i know you will find something you both will love.

Callie said...

Thats a bummer about your rental, but SO exciting that you;re close to buying a home!!

Sharon Telschow said...

Oh, lady! That is huge. My word. Pat yourself on the back...moving is hard work. Congratulations.

Katherine Ross said...

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! You all are such a blessing :)

Carrie said...

Exciting and stressful! I hope your landlord had at least told you they were planning to sell at some point.. that would be such a shock to come home to.

Best of luck with your house hunt!

I have been feeling the same way about our little apartment (our first home together) so I made a spare key to hold on to.

I like the upside down sconce.