Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Silver & Gold


Okay, I know I'm breaking the cardinal Holiday rule by talking about Christmas before Thanksgiving... but I just can't help it. This morning, as I was working on my Christmas Spotify playlist, I discovered Sufjan Stevens' new Christmas collection: Silver & Gold.

The collection, divided into five EPs, is an interesting compilation of traditional carols and original songs that feature a mix of banjo, piano, flute, and many other instruments blended with experimental electronic beats. In typical Sufjan fashion, the songs swing from angelic carols to songs that deal with topics of holiday consumerism and greed.

If you're looking for a nontraditional mix of Christmas music, I suggest adding Silver & Gold to your playlist. My favorites so far are "The Midnight Clear," "Angels We Have Heard on High," and a particularly beautiful rendition of "Let it Snow!" So good.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I was just talking about Sufjan the other day as I was listening to this. I think he's absolutely adorable and talented but I only like about 25% of what he does. But that 25% is so so good. I really like Christmas In The Room.

I'm also starting to think that we are listening to a lot of the same music! I loved FIF in high school! My husband still teases me about it. :)

Latrina said...

Oh my gosh! I wasn't even aware this cd collection existed! Thank you. I have been in the hunt for new & different holiday music. :D thank youuu.

Latrina said...

Sooo.. I have spent my entire evening listening to his Christmas albums while my husband & I decorated our home with holiday lights.

Such a good night! thank you again for sharing. :)