Monday, April 30, 2012

Weekend Adventures: Chicago

Well friends, it's Monday again. I started it off right by spilling a full mug of HOT coffee in my lap during my commute this morning. My thighs were scalded. I was two hours late because I had to go home and take another shower. Sometimes I really hate Mondays. I'm choosing to focus my thoughts on this past weekend...

Beautiful floor at m.henry  |  Blackberry Bliss Cakes  | Desk inspiration at West Elm  |  Abby

On Saturday, I ventured over to Chicago for a day with Abby and Kate (and Sofia!) It was a great day filled with tasty food, Beirut, Sof's singing, catching up, shopping, Argo Tea and train rides. Kate has been a blog friend for a while now, and it was great to meet her in person. Things flowed so naturally, like we've been friends for years. Funny how that works. We spent a good chunk of the morning/afternoon brunching at m.henry, an adorable French cafe & bakery in Andersonville. I had a soup-bowl sized latte and Blackberry Bliss Cakes -- two fluffy hotcakes with vanilla mascarpone creme and berry compote, topped with crispy brown sugar oats. Heavenly. If you ever find yourself in the Andersonville area, I highly recommend m.henry!

The rest of the day was spent wandering around shops. I resisted the urge to buy all the things, but ended up with several tasty purchases: Tim Tams, Bundaberg Ginger Beer, and Trader Joe's lemon curd, mango butter, and the famous cookie butter. Abby and I grabbed Argo Tea before the train ride home -- the perfect ending to our weekend adventure.

Until next time, ladies!

8 comments:

Sharon Telschow said...

That sounds like a very lovely adventure and those blueberry bliss cakes-mmmm!!!! Andersonville is such a cute area. All the Aussies I know are crazy for Tim Tams (i do believe). I am so sorry to read about the coffee incident. I hope that your legs have recovered.

Unknown said...

sounds fun! sorry about your coffee stained pants...that's a bummer. sounds like something I'd do! my hands seriously don't work in the morning. neither does my brain actually...

Katherine Ross said...

That's the blessing and curse of coffee :)

Emily said...

sounds like a super fun weekend in Chi-town! I miss that place so much sometimes!

And sorry about the coffee. I hate mondays usually as it is, and i'm sure that was no fun. :(

Katherine Ross said...

@Emily -- Abby and I were thinking, next time we do a little blogger meet up, you should come too! We could go to GR or somewhere in between!

emily said...

I love your blog, it's adorable! So glad you found me! Hooray for Michigan bloggers! And adventures to Chicago! And exclamation marks!

Tang said...

What a cruddy start to a Monday! Hope your Tuesday was better. :)

Callie said...

I love the Bliss cake from m.henry! I went there last time I was in Chicago and could have licked my plate it was so delicious, haha.