Now that 2011 is more than half over (where did it go?!), I thought I'd give you an update on my list of goals. I feel like I've accomplished a lot so far, and hopefully sharing will help keep me accountable with the rest of my to-dos for the year.
Design a blog of my own.(obviously, I knocked this one out! Completed March 11.) Plan a fun trip to go on with Christopher. (we're hoping to get away for our one year anniversary, so this one is in the works.)(Ann Arbor! Completed September 2-5)
- Typography flash cards. Make them. Memorize them.
Revamp my resume/digital portfolio/print portfolio.(In a big push to get a job, I revamped everything before my interview with Bethel. I guess it worked. Completed June 2.) Order business cards... design them first, of course. (Check! I actually got them in the mail a few weeks ago... to be featured in a post soon. Completed June 6.)
- Send friends hand-written letters more often.
Find a full time job.(Hooray! Completed June 20.) Eat healthy with Chris/learn to cook healthy meals(This is a continuous goal, but I think we've been doing a really good job in general. We just need to fix our weekend fast food binges. On going, completed.)
- Write and illustrate a children's book.
- Exercise four times a week, at least (there was a point when Chris and I were working out every day. Sadly, our gym membership has expired and we've been slacking. I need to get back on the workout wagon.)
- Read 11 classic works of literature. Design 11 dust jackets for said books. (inspired by the senior project of Jim Tierney, which actually got him a job at Penguin. Amazing.)
- Get my work published. D*S or Mint would be great... ultimate goal: How magazine.
- Create a special one year anniversary gift for Christopher (I need to get cracking on this one... only a month and two days left!)
Sketch more/practice hand lettering.(Ongoing process; here's a sample!)
- Attend a design conference or artisan workshop.
Create some kind of goofy tradition with Christopher.(Done and done. Trilogy Saturdays.)
- Make a baby gift for Nat & Dewy.
- Open an Etsy shop... if I'm feeling really ambitious. (Maybe this can be categorized as a 5-year goal...)
- Learn the art of tatting so I can make my own lace.
- Work on a new series of illustrations.
- Learn a little something about time management.
Since the more serious goals have been taken care of, it's time for me to have a little more fun and get creative. I think I'll start working on the typography flash cards next, and spend a little more time in my sketchbook. I haven't had a ton of time to read lately, but I think I could start goal no. 11. Do you have any "classic" book suggestions? The only one on my list so far is Alice in Wonderland, so I need 10 more books!