Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sharon.

Today, one of my dearest friends stepped on a plane with a one-way ticket to New York City to chase her dreams. My goodness. Instead of 50 miles, she is almost 700 miles away, and I will miss her very much. Let me tell you a story of friendship and adventure.


I first met Sharon when I was in seventh grade. We were both in an after school art program, and I remember thinking how wonderful, crazy, and inspiring she was. Our friendship didn't actually develop until high school, though. I don't even remember how it happened, it just flowed so naturally. We were in yearbook together, as well as many theatre productions. We became two of four in a tight-knit group of girlfriends, and we bonded over art, music, films, and the meaning of life. Two old souls with a love of antiques, flowers, and a childhood appreciation of The Secret Garden and The Little Princess.


Sharon is one of the sweetest, most thoughtful people I know. She is so talented and makes wonderful things, like the beautiful quilt that now sits at the foot of my bed. She has been a constant source of encouragement, advice, and inspiration in my life for ten years and I am so honored to have her as a friend and as a kindred spirit.


Together, we've visited New York, San Francisco, Chicago, and have had our share of many small-town adventures. Movie nights. Bonfires. Photo sessions. Evening walks. Pounds of Hacienda chips and liters of coffee. Spiked apple cider in the fall, peppermint sweet tea in the spring. Pirate parties, music-sharing parties, Fourth of July parties, just because parties. Once, slipping down an icy winter road, I even thought I was going to die with Sharon... thankfully that was not the case. She helped plan my wedding and stood with me on my wedding day. Many, many adventures. Many, many memories.

Sharon Rose, I will miss you greatly, even though I know I'll get to see you during your trips home. You are so incredibly brave and I know in my heart that you will thrive in the City. See you in a few months. Love always, Kitty.

4 comments:

Sharon Telschow said...

Oh, Kitty Kat! I just adore you so much. This is so sweet - thank you for sharing all those wonderful memories to taste them one more time. Thank you for your encouragement. My word you had to dig deep in the files for some of those photos. You keep those photos and in another ten years we will have a heap more of great memories to add to them. 'Cause friend like these Kat, friends like these.

Keitha said...

Sweet :-) I met her only twice and really liked her.

Sharon you're a peach and I get an update on you whenever I see Katherine. Happy trails!

Sharon Telschow said...

You know Kat, I was just looking at all these pictures again (for a good heart smile) and noticed we sure do take a lot of photos with our faces really close together! If we are not two feet away from each other we are less than two inches. I just think that is humorous. And I love it!

Katherine Ross said...

I noticed that too! I was actually a little disappointed when I saw that we weren't very close in the wedding photo, but then I realized it was probably because you were holding up the heaps of fabric known as my train :)