Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston


Today, my prayers go out to the city of Boston and those affected by the Boston Marathon bombings. I can't begin to imagine what the east coast is going through right now.

The closer and closer I get to baby girl's due date, the more I find myself thinking about what it really means to be a parent: the good and the bad, the difficult decisions. How will I ever explain such evil, senseless acts of violence to my baby, especially when I don't fully understand them myself? The most comforting thing I've found has been floating around the social media sphere, a quote by childhood favorite Mr. Rodgers, from his book The World According to Mister Rogers:
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.'"
It's nice to be reminded that, as terrible as things can seem sometimes, the world is filled with goodness and beauty and people who are always willing to help. When tragedy strikes, sometimes we forget that the good things in life greatly outnumber the bad. Try to remember that today and hug your loved ones a little harder... I know I will.

1 comment:

Latrina said...

It's terrible... the things that happen out of spite.... out of evil. It's so sad and my prayers and thoughts have been with those in Boston these past couple of days. I just can't imagine. :(